Sunday, June 13, 2010

Banana Bread



I have the best memories of my mom making banana bread when I was a kid--it was soo moist, flavorful, and delicious.  I never cared much for bread when I was young, but banana bread was like candy! Especially the kind with nuts.

About two years ago, I had a cooking itch to make one of my mom's favorite recipes.  BUT, with no recipe on hand, I had to give myself up to the fates of google's search engine.  That's when I found THIS Banana Bread recipe on Elise Bauer's food and cooking blog, Simply Recipes.  This was the very first Elise recipe I ever made, and I've been going back to her website for dinner ideas ever since.

Follow the below recipe for a banana bread that is fast, easy, and clearly delicious.

Banana Bread
The below recipe can be made with either 3, or 4 bananas.  I typically make it with three large, very ripe bananas, or four small ones.  Add according to your taste preferences.  You can find the original recipe here.
Ingredients
* 3-4 bananas, cut into pieces, and mashed
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 1/2 cup flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 cup pecans, or walnuts
* pinch of salt
* 1 egg, beaten
* 5 tablespoons butter (1/3 cup), melted

1.) Preheat oven to 350F.  Cut up 3-4 bananas and mash (either with a potato masher, or whisker in a bowl, or a Kitchenaid mixer).


2.) Add 1 egg and beat to combine thoroughly.


3.) Cube up butter and place in a microwave-safe bowl.


4.) Melt in microwave and add to banana/egg batter.


5.) Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.


6.) Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and a pinch of salt.


7.) Add 1 cup sugar and mix to integrate.


8.) 1/2 cup at a time, add 1 1/2 cup flour.  Mix to integrate.


9.) Measure 1 cup pecans.


10.) Scrape down sides of bowl, add pecans to mixture, and mix one last time.  Pour batter into a well-greased loaf pan.


11.) Cook at 350F for 45 minutes to an hour.  The bread will be done when it's both golden on top and a knife comes out clean.  Remove from oven.


11.) Transfer to plate and allow to cool.  Serve in 1/2-to-1 inch slices.  Makes 10-12 servings.




Subscribe to Clearly Delicious by Email

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR BANANA BREAD! My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you love it CJ! I love it too! AND...I haven't even made you my pumpkin spice bread! Now THAT is to die for!

    ReplyDelete