Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sweet Potato Souffle

Just in case
I've been sitting in front of my laptop typing papers for about 3 days now. AND, this week is going to be exactly the same--between grading for the LSU ENGL 1001 semester assessment and finishing my last 20 page paper, I made sure to cook foods ahead of time so that I could eat healthy and not have to cook with my writing schedule.

Well...we'll pretend the below post is healthy. In between my writing this weekend, my friends Joe and Lydia came over in the hopes of distracting me from homeworking. Part of that distraction involved converting 2 baked sweet potatos into a souffle.

What I love about this recipe is how easy, fast, and tasty it is. Lydia and I ate so much of the souffle that I had to go for a run right after dinner because the souffle tasted too good to be true!

Sweet Potato Souffle
The below recipe is my own version of a basic sweet potato souffle only minus the butter and extra calories.  Thus, this recipe is pretty low in calories and nutritional (protein and fiber anyone?!) depending on how heavy you make the brown sugar-pecan-marshmallow crust.

Ingredients:
* 3 sweet potatoes, cooked
* 1/2-to-1 cup sugar (depending on your sweet tooth, or calorie preferences)
* 1/2 cup carnation milk
* 1 tablespoon cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon nutmeg
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/2-to-1 cup marshmallows
* 1/2 cup pecans

1.) Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. Peel potatoes and add to a mixing bowl.
2.) Add sugars, milk, egg, and spices to the potatoes. Mash thoroughly.
3.) Add ingredients to a souffle pan and sprinkle with with brown sugar, pecans, and marshmallows.
4.) Cook in oven for 20-30 minutes, or until marshmallows are dark gold.
5.) Let cool for a few minutes, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment