Sunday, December 27, 2009

Corn Casserole (aka "Corn Pudding")


During Christmas dinner this year, I was exposed to a medley of American comfort foods at the Gregorys' house: green bean casserole, oven-roasted spiral cut ham, sweet potatoes, mashed potateos, and a new discovery, corn casserole.  I think I've had corn casserole at some point, but I cannot remember when.  Regardless, this was the dish placed directly in front of me during dinner, and I made the best of its positioning! Further, I kept having to heap plates with corn casserole because it was one of the more popular dishes and after six very hungry people, there was still plenty left over.

I'm posting this recipe because it was easily one of my favorites made by Joe's mother, Joanne Gregory.  She's been making it for years, and has made several adjustments to the recipe (an addition of parsley and butter over margarine).  I will be re-posting this recipe in the future with my own notes on how to prepare this dish, but until then, here are the ingredients and the basic directions as suggested by The Times Magazine in its Nov. 4th, 1985 edition (page 39).

Joanne's Corn Casserole
* 1 8 1/2 ounce box of corn bread mix, used dry
* 1 17 ounce can cream-style corn
* 1 17 ounce can whole-kernel corn, undrained
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1 8 ounce container commercial sour cream
* 1/2 cup melted butter
* 1-2 tablespoons parsley, chopped

1.) Preheat oven to 350 F.
2.) In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together.  Pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
3.) Serve immediately and enjoy!
Makes 8-10 servings. 

Meanwhile, here are some more photos of Joanne's Christmas brunch and hungry family: 

Bring me that Corn Casserole!!


Tom Carving the Ham:


No comments:

Post a Comment